The Horizon 2020 UP-STAIRS project is a citizen engagement and energy collection initiative which aims to develop a standard framework for the growth of energy communities.
Recent EU Directives have advanced definitions for local collective actions (so-called “energy communities”) and citizens are showing increased interest in becoming prosumers. However, the creation of energy communities requires a great deal of expertise.
The UP-STAIRS project will provide support by dispensing one-on-one advice about retrofitting, energy efficiency, energy sustainability, and using solar and renewables through a digital one-stop-shop platform, thus enabling greater citizen participation in the energy transition.
UP-STAIRS accelerates the creation of energy communities and collective action by setting up one-stop-shops in five pilot regions across the EU:
– Cork City, Ireland
– Barcelona Metropolitan, Catalonia/Spain
– Municipality of Brunnthal, Germany
– Region of Upper Austria, Austria
– Municipality of Asenovgrad, Bulgaria
- Setting-up and testing 5 One-Stop-Shops for energy communities and collective local action
- Triggering 66 million Euro in sustainable energy investments
- Engaging 10,000 consumers in sustainable energy activities
- University College Cork – National University of Ireland (IERC), Ireland
- Associació Ecoserveis (ECO), Spain
- Sofia Energy Centre (SEC), Bulgaria
- GreenCom Networks (GCN), Germany
- Polish National Energy Conservation Agency (KAPE), Poland
- OÖ Energiesparverband (ESV), Austria
- Barcelona Metropolitan Area (AMB), Catalonia/Spain
- Cork City Council (CCC), Ireland
- Municipality of Asenovgrad (ASEN), Bulgaria
- Ekubirojs (ESEB), Latvia