Cork is located in the South West Region of Ireland and has a population of over a half a million and serves a hinterland population of 1.2 million. Cork is an attractive location whereby one can achieve career and business success as well as enjoying an enhanced quality of life in a vibrant environment. It is a well established location for many global companies which locate and prosper in Cork as a result of the cost competitiveness, availability of young and educated talent, well developed business clusters and accessibility to major US, UK and European Markets. Cork is a key contributor to the recent success of the Irish economy and makes the second largest economic contribution after the capital city.
Cork has long been considered as an ideal business location for some of the world’s leading companies. Companies like Apple, EMC and Janssen Pharmaceutical have been thriving in Cork for decades and this strong pedigree, enabling infrastructure and supportive business environment has continued to attract global brands and indigenous companies to this energetic and entrepreneurial region.
• 146 Overseas companies employing 28,545 including major global businesses such as TYCO, GSK, Pepsico, Amazon, IBM, BNY Mellon
• Cork offers a great availability of property including office, industrial and manufacturing sites at favourable rates
• Strong global growth sectors including technology, biopharma/lifesciences, agribusiness and food, energy, tourism and business services
• Home to 7 of the world’s top 10 Pharmaceutical companies
• No.1 small city for business friendliness (Fdi Magazine: 2014/2015 European Cities and Regions of the Future)
• Transatlantic undersea fibre cables connecting Cork with the USA and the UK offer speeds of up to 100 Gbps and will facilitate big data, cloud and media rich applications.
Cork has a long tradition of independent learning, novel ideas and contemporary innovation. It is well served by key Higher Education Institutes and a number of internationally renowned research centres which not only perform cutting edge research but also support industry and academia in driving this research to market.
• 35,000 students studying in University College Cork and Cork Institute of Technology
• University College Cork: UCC has played a pivotal role in the development of computing and the School of Computer Science and IT conducts internationally leading research with a strong emphasis on applied research for the benefit of society, ICT Industry and the wider economy.
• Tyndall National Institute: European Leader in ICT research and development which specialises in Photonics, Microsystems, Micro/Nanoelectronics and Theory, Modeling and Design.
• Nimbus Research Centre: Ireland’s largest dedicated Internet of things Centre which focuses on networked embedded electronic systems.
• Beaufort Research Centre: Provides world class infrastructure and maritime research and serves the growing maritime cluster in Cork
International accessibility is crucial to the success of Cork and to this end Cork is particularly well connected through its International Airport and Port.
• Cork Airport is Ireland’s second busiest Airport
• Air connectivity to over 40 international destinations serving business and leisure destinations
• Deepest natural harbour in Ireland and key Port in the South of Ireland
• Second largest natural harbour in the world
• Services six shipping modes – Lift-on Lift-off, Roll-on Roll-off, Liquid Bulk, Dry Bulk, Break Bulk and Cruise
• Ireland’s only dedicated Cruise berth.
One of Cork’s main differentiators is its quality of life. Cork is a very liveable city with an abundance of cultural and natural assets.
• Compact city with good accessibility via public transport
• 60% of commuters reach their place work in 30 minutes
• 23 Blue Flag Beeches and 65 Golf Courses in the South West Region
• 20 major annual festivals
• Ireland’s Food Capital
• Top ten places to visit (Lonely Planet Guide, 2010)
• First in a list of undiscovered ‘must visit’ places in Europe (Huffington Post, 2014)
• UNESCO Learning City Award